Before you give any auditions, here are some basic tips which may help you in preparing for Singing Auditions.
1. Choice of Song: Always choose the right song that suits your voice and vocal range. You are more likely to win singing a simple song than to choose a tough one which you cannot execute well.
2. Voice Sound Quality & Vocal Range: One of the primary judging criteria for any singing competition is the quality and individual characteristics of the voice. For instance, if you know you have a good range you must choose the right song that demonstrates your vocal range OR if your voice is a strong powerful voice, you should not choose a soft song and so on.
3. Rhythm & Tempo: It is very essential that the singer sticks to the rhythm and groove of a song and does not go fast or slow or misses a beat. For this you have to practice the song in many ways, sometimes with the audio running behind, sometimes with a simple click track or metronome that keeps beat and sometimes just plain voice with you yourself keeping tempo. Knowing lyrics by heart also helps a lot because we have seen a lot of singers miss a beat because they forgot the lyrics of a song. You will require to sing the lyrics of the song without any background music for the first 2 phases.
Singing Tips – Help In Preparing For Singing Auditions
4. Being in Tune: The most difficult part in a live performance is to be in tune all through the song. Practice makes perfect!
5. Vocal Expression & Diction: How well the performer is able to express the meaning and mood of the song surely enhances the chances of him winning the round. They say a good singer is not one who sings well, but also goes deeper into the song while singing. For this in-depth knowledge of lyrics, its meaning and flow of song must be well prepared. It is necessary that you hear the original song many times before you start singing and practicing it.
6. Stage Presence & Entertainment Value: The key factor that sets a LIVE performance from any studio recording is the visual presentation of the song. Your stage presence, your confidence and physical expression have the ability to bring a great entertainment value to your overall performance and can get a positive reaction from the audience and judges.